Monday, July 6, 2009

Sorry Roger but That One Belonged to Andy



I love Roger Federer but I think Andy Roddick was more deserving of this year’s Wimbledon trophy. He held Federer off like only Nadal can do. His serve was so powerful that Roger had a hard time reaching it on numerous occasions. Roddick played bravely, he played big shots and he played with determination. He was motivated to win.

I wanted A-Rod to win last night. He’s always been the guy who made it to the semis or the finals but could never break that wall except at the 2003 US Open. He is a very talented player but he had a tough time with his game, leading him to almost give up on his career. He has come back from the brink and the way he played yesterday, he really showed the world what he is capable of. I’m really sad he didn’t win but he has a new fan in me!

So, congrats Roger but that one did belong to A-Rod.

PS: Funnily, Roddick is known for his outbursts against umpires (and I don’t blame him for it). One of his most notorious quotes was to umpire Emmanuel Joseph in an Australian Open 2008 match: "You're an idiot! Stay in school kids, or you'll end up being an umpire."

No comments: